“You are not investing in stocks to make 10x, you are investing in stocks to make 8% over the next 20-30 years.”Sam Marks
Sam Marks and Johnny FD are self made entrepreneurs who invest our own money and use modern technology to invest like a boss. During this episode, Sam and Johnny FD provide their perspectives on managing investments at different wealth levels as the COVID-19 pandemic progresses. They’ll share an update on how their portfolios have been performing over the last quarter.
Listen to ILAB 142 on iTunes here or subscribe on your favorite podcast app.
ILAB 142 Show Notes
Where we are:
- Book: Unshakeable Book
- Book: Simple Path to Wealth
- Interactive Brokers
- Johnny’s Investing 101 Blog Post
- ILAB 125: Vetting Real Estate Deals Terms, with Omar Khan
- ILAB 112: FIRE – Financial Independence, Retire Early
Like these investments? Try them with these special ILAB links:
- ArtofFX – Start with just a $10,000 account (reduced from $25,000)
- Fundrise – Start with only $1,000 into their REIT funds (non-accredited investors OK)
- Betterment – Get up to 1 year managed free
- Wealthfront – Get your first $15,000 managed free
- PeerStreet – Get a 1% yield bump on your first loan
*Johnny and Sam use all of the above services personally.
- 05:37 – Investing in individual stocks vs investing in index funds
- 10:15 – “You are not investing in stocks to make 10x, you are investing in stocks to make 8% over the next 20-30 years.” – Sam Marks
- 10:23 – Understanding investment fees
- 15:05 – Creating an emergency saving fund before investing
- 21:45 – Books to read before investing
- 25:00 – How much money should you invest
- 27:00 – “If you put the money all at once and the market is going down, you are losing in total value, but if you are putting money each month, you are actually buying when it’s going down and it’s gonna benefit you in the long-run.” – Sam Marks
- 30:22 – Index funds to choose for first-time investing
- 35:00 – Advice for investors outside of the USA
- 40:00 – Situation with stocks right now
- 43:43 – “And the reason why we know the economy is going to recover, it’s because it always has.” – Johnny FD
- 47:58 – Stocks vs bonds
- 50:00 – Taxable and Non-Taxable accounts in the USA
- 55:46 – Websites where you can invest
If you enjoyed this episode, do us a favor and share it! Also if you haven’t already, please take a minute to leave us a 5-star review on iTunes and claim your bonus here!
Copyright 2020. All rights reserved. Read our disclaimer here.