“Equity crowdfunding is the future of finance for small businesses”Howard Marks
Howard Marks is the CEO of StartEngine, an Equity Crowdfunding platform that allows ordinary people to invest and help entrepreneurs achieve their dreams. He is an experienced entrepreneur with a history of building successful businesses. Before launching StartEngine, he co-founded Activision (Call of Duty) and was the Chairman of Activision Studios from 1991 until 1997. As a former Board Member and Executive Vice-President of video-game giant Activision, he and a partner took control in 1991 and turned the ailing company into the $37 billion market cap video game industry.
On this episode, Howard explains the impact of Equity Crowdfunding on the economy. He believes that this investment platform is the future of finance, especially for small businesses. He shares his journey in building StartEngine and the vision that led him to transition into crowdfunding – despite his success in his previous career. This is an insightful conversation that is perfect for both entrepreneurs and investors.
Listen to ILAB 131 on iTunes here or subscribe on your favorite podcast app.
ILAB 131 Show Notes
Where we are:
• Johnny FD – Mexico
• Sam Marks – North Carolina
• Masterworks.io – Join an exclusive community of blue-chip art investors
• 06:04 – Transitioning to Equity Crowdfunding
• 07:54 – Understanding why other entrepreneurs could not raise money
• 12:22 – How to unlock a larger pool of investors?
• 15:55 – “For the first time in 80 years, the ordinary person can invest.” – Howard Marks
• 17:16 – Why he started Crowdfunding?
• 18:28 – His first campaign
• 21:39 – “My biggest justification for what we’re doing was to help entrepreneurs achieve their dreams” – Howard Marks
• 22:10 – The next challenge: Helping investors trade shares
• 25:12 – The gift that keeps giving
• 27:33 – The alternate trading system
• 29:10 – His vision for the years to come
• 30:28 – “The private small companies are the backbone of the economy” – Howard Marks
• 31:50 – “Equity crowdfunding is the future of finance for small businesses” – Howard Marks
• 32:54 – The average capital raise
• 34:56 – Successful campaigns via StartEngine
• 35:39 – What they are looking for in an entrepreneur
• 37:20 – Pieces of advice for early-stage entrepreneurs
If you enjoyed this episode, do us a favor and share it! Also if you haven’t already, please take a minute to leave us a 5-star review on iTunes and claim your bonus here!
Copyright 2019. All rights reserved. Read our disclaimer here.