Derek goes on site to the Los Angeles headquarters of Azure 3D Printed Homes to see how their approach to affordable housing with 3D printing differs from Boxabl’s assembly line approach (ILAB Episode 245). Derek sits down with co-founder Gene Eidelman to talk how he went from growing up in Ukraine to running a startup to solve the housing shortage. Then Derek and Johnny discuss if they’d invest in this, and how they’d utilize these homes for themselves.
Gene Eidelman is a co-founder of Azure Printed Homes, the first-to-market construction company to utilize 3D printing technology and recycled materials to create modern prefab units 70% faster than traditional building methods, while making a positive impact on the environment. Gene went to undergrad school at USC and holds an MBA from Pepperdine. He was recognized for resettling 6,000 refugees from the former Soviet Union in the late 80s by the United States Jaycees. In addition, he appeared on Oprah Winfrey Show, and served on numerous non-profit educational organizations in the US, India, and the UK. He has over 35 years of experience building and developing residential properties. His startup before Azure was an education management company which he grew to $120MM in revenue with 1,800 employees on three continents. He co-founded Azure in 2019. Azure initially bootstrapped its growth and raised a pre-seed angel round earlier this year and is in the middle of a $5MM seed round raise. Azure generates $400K/mo in revenue and has over $14MM in pre-orders. Mass production of the units will begin before the end of this year.
Where we are:
- Johnny FD – Ukraine / IG @johnnyfdj
- Sam Marks – Barcelona / IG @imsammarks
- Derek Spartz – Los Angeles / IG @DerekRadio
Join the over 31,000 businesses that use the #1 Cloud Financial System now at Netsuite.com/ILAB and receive a special one-of-a-kind financing offer.
Like these investments? Try them with these special ILAB links:
- ArtofFX – Start with just a $10,000 account (reduced from $25,000)
- Fundrise – Start with only $1,000 into their REIT funds (non-accredited investors OK)
*Johnny and Sam use all of the above services personally.
- 10:54 – What is your background and how did you get here from Ukraine?
- 13:30 – What housing problem is Azure trying to solve?
- 15:45 – How can you build a house from a 3D printer?
- 18:06 – What customization options are there?
- 20:01 – What advantage do you have by 3D printing as compared to assembly lines like your competitors?
- 21:38 – What comes with the unit?
- 24:05 – Why do you think LA is the best spot to start the business?
- 25:48 – How do you think people will utilize their homes?
- 27:10 – What is the pricing of the units?
- 28:00 – What permits do you need to get approval for the home?
- 29:14 – How many pre-orders do you have and how soon are the units going to be ready?
- 32:23 – How much have you raised thus far in investment and what is the goal?
- 35:52 – What are the requirements to invest and what fees are associated?
- 37:07 – What’s the future of azure?
If you enjoyed this episode, do us a favor and share it! Also if you haven’t already, please take a minute to leave us a 5-star review on iTunes and claim your bonus here!
Copyright 2022. All rights reserved. Read our disclaimer here.