Johnny brings the Financial Samurai back to the show, who last appeared in 2016 on ILAB 24. The Financial Samurai created a popular financial blog and was until recently only known as an image online… but he has finally revealed his identity as Sam Dogen. Dogen has a new book out titled Buy This, Not That. Johnny and Dogen discuss the book, his path to financial freedom, why he stays living in San Francisco and more. Derek jumps in on the intro and outro with Johnny where the guys catch up and discuss the Financial Samurai’s hitting points and what they agree/disagree with.
In 2009, the world was falling apart, and my net worth was taking a beating. I thought it would be a good idea to start a personal finance site to help myself and others make sense of chaos.
After all, I had spent 10 years working at Goldman Sachs and Credit Suisse, studied economics at William & Mary, got my MBA from UC Berkeley, saved aggressively, diversified my investments, and still got financially rocked!
Since the global financial crisis, more than 90 million visitors have stopped by Financial Samurai to learn, share, and grow.
After writing over 2,500 personal finance articles, I’ve used my knowledge and the perspectives of so many to write an instant Wall Street Journal bestseller entitled, Buy This, Not That: How To Spend Your Way To Wealth And Freedom. The book is your secret weapon to getting ahead in this hyper-competitive world.
You can buy a hard copy on Amazon or any book retailer. By the time you finish BTNT you will gain at least 100X more value than its cost. After spending 30 years working in finance, writing about finance, and studying finance, I’m certain you will love Buy This, Not That.
Today, Financial Samurai is one of the largest independently-owned personal finance sites in the world with roughly one million organic visitors a month. And it’s all free!
Where we are:
- Johnny FD – Ukraine / IG @johnnyfdj
- Sam Marks – Barcelona / IG @imsammarks
- Derek Spartz – Los Angeles / IG @DerekRadio
Like these investments? Try them with these special ILAB links:
- ArtofFX – Start with just a $10,000 account (reduced from $25,000)
- Fundrise – Start with only $1,000 into their REIT funds (non-accredited investors OK)
*Johnny and Sam use all of the above services personally.
- 15:29 – What made you decide to write this book?
- 18:40 – Do you think there are a lot more people who are like you financially with high living expenses?
- 23:37 – What was your target audience for this book?
- 28:49 – What are your thoughts on Bill Perkins’ book “Die with Zero”?
- 30:18 – Why did you write the book if it wasn’t financially profitable?
- 32:32 – Why is adopting the mindset to be rich important?
- 35:12 – Why is it important to maximize your wealth?
- 39:34 – How is focusing on the most Important things in life related to wealth?
- 43:13 – Explain “The Best Time to Own the Nicest Home you can Afford”
If you enjoyed this episode, do us a favor and share it! Also if you haven’t already, please take a minute to leave us a 5-star review on iTunes and claim your bonus here!
Copyright 2022. All rights reserved. Read our disclaimer here.