Carter grew up in a farming family and has a lifelong passion for investing and agriculture. Prior to AcreTrader, he was part of an equity investment firm for 5 years. Before joining in 2013, Carter was a Managing Director with Stephens Inc., a large private investment bank, where he was an equity research analyst focused on the Internet, Data & Analytics and Real Estate Processing sectors. Prior to Stephens, he owned small businesses focused on internet marketing and sustainable fuel technologies. He graduated from the University of Arkansas with a bachelor’s degree in Physics and has previously held Series 7, 63, 86 and 87 licenses with the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA).
Where we are:
- Johnny FD – Sri Lanka / IG @johnnyfdk
- Sam Marks – North Carolina / IG @imsammarks
- Derek Spartz – Los Angeles / IG @DerekRadio
Get a $75 credit to boost your job post and find your next hire faster
- Support Invest Like a Boss: Join our Patreon
Like these investments? Try them with these special ILAB links:
- ArtofFX – Start with just a $10,000 account (reduced from $25,000)
- Fundrise – Start with only $1,000 into their REIT funds (non-accredited investors OK)
- Betterment – Get up to 1 year managed free
- Wealthfront – Get your first $15,000 managed free
- PeerStreet – Get a 1% yield bump on your first loan
*Johnny and Sam use all of the above services personally.
- 07:50 – How did you get into farmland and agriculture?
- 08:30 – Before AcreTrader, how was farmland purchased?
- 10:22 – What is the usual size of these farms?
- 12:02 – Why farmland and not commercial or residential real estate?
- 15:15 – How does farmland outperform other asset classes?
- 18:25 – How long do you hold onto the land for?
- 18:39 – Are you concerned about the land depreciating because of bad farming practices?
- 20:26 – How long do farmers usually rent the land?
- 21:09 – How does it work for investors?
- 23:06 – How often does the investor get paid?
- 25:45 – Does the rental change depending on the farm?
- 27:03 – Do you normally list farms weekly?
- 28:09 – What is your investment range?
- 30:06 – What crops are the most profitable?
- 34:30 – How long are the investments?
- 37:48 – How are the taxes treated?
- 36:55 – Who can invest?
- 39:48 – Johnny & Derek Recap
If you enjoyed this episode, do us a favor and share it! Also if you haven’t already, please take a minute to leave us a 5-star review on iTunes and claim your bonus here!
Copyright 2020. All rights reserved. Read our disclaimer here.