“The key to wealth is appreciation and gratitude.”Ken Honda
Ken Honda is the author of Happy Money: The Japanese Art of Making Peace with Your Money. He is a bestselling author of self-development books in Japan, where he has sold more than seven million books since 2001. While his financial expertise comes from owning and managing several businesses, his writings bridge the topics of finance and self-help, focusing on creating and generating personal wealth and happiness through deeper self-honesty.
In this episode, Ken will help you discover the tools you already possess to heal your own life and relationship with money. Learn how to treat money as a welcome guest, allowing it to come and go with respect and without resentment; understand and improve your money EQ; unpack the myth of scarcity; and embrace the process of giving money, not just receiving it.
Check out the new Invest Like a Boss Summit in Vegas!
Listen to ILAB 126 on iTunes here or subscribe on your favorite podcast app.
ILAB 126 Show Notes
- Happy Money: The Japanese Art of Making Peace with Your Money – Book
Where we are:
- Sam Marks – Columbia, Missouri
- Johnny FD – Tbilisi, Georgia
- ArtofFX– Start with just a $10,000 account (reduced from $25,000)
- Fundrise– Start with only $1,000 into their REIT funds (non-accredited investors OK)
- Betterment– Get up to 1 year managed free
- PeerStreet– Get a 1% yield bump on your first loan
- Wealthfront– get your first $15,000 managed free
- 02:25 – Introducing the concept of happy money
- 04:51 – Can money actually buy happiness?
- 05:25 – “Money definitely can reduce your stress but money itself cannot buy happiness.” – Ken Honda
- 06:46 – Where does the unhappiness come from?
- 09:27 – Why it seems like all the bad people make the most money
- 11:16 – The perfect amount of yearly income to optimize happiness
- 15:47 – Educating your kids on money
- 16:40 – “Teach your kids how to be satisfied, whatever you have otherwise you’re into comparison with other people and feel miserable.” – Ken Honda
- 17:59 – The international relationship with money and changing your energy
- 20:01 – “The key to wealth is appreciation and gratitude.” – Ken Honda
- 23:46 – Best advice for young people and their relationship with money
- 27:41 – Paying and supporting your local community
- 34:20 – Sam & Johnny FD’s current relationship with money