Sam’s friend and Hong Kong “King of Self-Storage” Kevin Shee returns to the podcast for his 3 rd appearance. Kevin previously appeared on ILAB 07 & ILAB 106. Kevin goes over his attempted transition out of self-storage and into passive investor and why it failed. He goes over his current business model in Hong Kong and why he’s brought Sam along for a new business venture in Japan. Sam and Kevin also go over the intricacies of Japan’s daily life and why it’s so traveler unfriendly to visit. Then Sam and Johnny recap their status and discuss their thoughts on Kevin, as they both personally know him. And Johnny reveals that he recently attempted to get a very odd job in Japan.
Kevin Shee is the owner of SC Storage, Hong Kong’s leading low-cost self-storage provider with over 60 convenient locations in Hong Kong and Macau, and more than 18,000 self-storage units. He started his self-storage business 18 years ago and has consistently grown in locations and customers. When it comes to self-storage, he is the king!
Where we are:
- Johnny FD – Greece / IG @johnnyfdj
- Sam Marks – Japan / IG @imsammarks
- Derek Spartz – Los Angeles / IG @DerekRadio
Get 14 days free and access Shopify’s full suite of features to get selling online today! Just go to Shopify.com/ilab to get started.
Like these investments? Try them with these special ILAB links:
- ArtofFX – Start with just a $10,000 account (reduced from $25,000)
- Fundrise – Start with only $1,000 into their REIT funds (non-accredited investors OK)
*Johnny and Sam use all of the above services personally.
- 11:33 – Why is Japan difficult for foreigners to travel within?
- 16:15 – How did you become semi-fluent in Japanese?
- 20:14 – How did we get into biking?
- 22:23 – What impressed Sam about Japan?
- 27:55 – Why wouldn’t you move to Japan?
- 29:43 – Can you tell us about your Bali residence and how you got to purchase it?
- 36:51 – Why is Sam so impressed with Dubai?
- 39:33 – What’s the state of self storage?
- 49:49 – Do you plan to open more properties in Hong Kong or abroad?
- 53:00 – What is Sam’s plan for 2023?
- 56:40 – What is Kevin Shee’s new “fashion item”?
If you enjoyed this episode, do us a favor and share it! Also if you haven’t already, please take a minute to leave us a 5-star review on iTunes and claim your bonus here!
Copyright 2022. All rights reserved. Read our disclaimer here.