MLG Capital CEO Tim Wallen returns to the show (ILAB 121 – Investing in Private Real Estate Funds, with MLG Capital’s Tim Wallen – Invest Like a Boss) to give us an update on how things have changed in the U.S. real estate market in the last two years. Sam asks about the returns on his personal investment in MLG Capital‘s Fund IV and how to get involved in MLG Capital‘s latest fund V. Tim also covers the effect of rising inflation, interest rates and securing cash flow in real estate. Plus, Wallen covers why MLG Capital focuses on middle America versus the coastal areas. Sam and Johnny circle back to compare Tim’s thoughts to their own personal real estate holdings and how they will proceed with real estate ventures going forward. Johnny further elaborates on the tense situation with Russia and Ukraine, considering he now owns Ukrainian real estate.
Tim and his wife Julie have eight children and their first grandchild. He’s passionate about family, traveling, golf and skiing. Outside of work, you’ll likely find Tim spending time with his family, or traveling. Tim loves to live the MLG Capital concept of “Making A Difference While Making A Living”. Tim has helped launch two successful non profits utilizing MLG Capital’s facilities and staff. Tim recently launched “MAD Funds” which allows investors to allocate profit from MLG Capital Private Funds to help at risk youth. He’s also a board member of Lifesong for Orphans, which provides orphan care for over 6,000 children and financial assistance for adoptions.
Tim started his career as a CPA and Tax Manager with Price Waterhouse in San Francisco and Milwaukee. In 1989, he joined MLG Capital as the CFO and a Principal. In 2000, Tim became the CEO of MLG Capital. He has a BBA in Accounting and a Masters of Accountancy with a Tax concentration from University of Wisconsin Madison.
Where we are:
- Johnny FD – Ukraine / IG @johnnyfdj
- Sam Marks – Barcelona / IG @imsammarks
- Derek Spartz – Venice Beach / IG @DerekRadio
Like these investments? Try them with these special ILAB links:
- ArtofFX – Start with just a $10,000 account (reduced from $25,000)
- Fundrise – Start with only $1,000 into their REIT funds (non-accredited investors OK)
*Johnny and Sam use all of the above services personally.
- 12:04 – How long have you been involved with MLG?
- 13:04 – What makes MLG different?
- 15:43 – Can you give us an update on the company and since it was last you were on the show in 2019?
- 18:35 – How many assets do fund 4 and fund 5 have?
- 19:13 – What happens if the fund liquidates an asset?
- 20:45 – How did the MLG adapt to the Covid-19 pandemic?
- 24:32 – Can you explain why rates are going up and how that affects MLGs current assets?
- 27:22 – Would you suggest “Own your house and if you have extra invest in multi-family” as real estate advice?
- 28:22 – How do interest rates impact assets?
- 30:27 – Can you explain fixed rate and floating rate debt ?
- 36:12 – Can you explain how inflation rates affect your assets?
- 40:05 – Is it too late to invest in a Multi-Family?
- 45:46 – What areas are Fund 5 focused on?
- 46:50 – When fund 4 is complete can an investor roll it over to fund 5?
- 50:02 – Sam and Johnny Review
If you enjoyed this episode, do us a favor and share it! Also if you haven’t already, please take a minute to leave us a 5-star review on iTunes and claim your bonus here!
Copyright 2021. All rights reserved. Read our disclaimer here.